Ballina Rugby Club was formed in 1928. It was a start of an era, the birth of a club that was to shed lustre on Connacht, and Irish Rugby. Ballina was proposed for membership at the February meeting of the Connacht Branch in 1928.
The affiliation, which was accepted unanimously, was proposed by Galwegians, and seconded by U.C.G. In 1929 the Camp Field (now the home of Ballina Stephenites) was acquired as a rugby pitch. In those early days the club headquarters were based at the Crescent Hotel then owned by the Cosgrave family. It was there that visiting teams were entertained. In the season of 1928/29 Ballina shot right to the top of the Connacht graph, by winning the Senior League.
The year of 1948 Ballina (post war years) they won the Junior Cup. The 1948 win heralded better things to come, moulding a team to take the first Connacht Senior Cup title to Ballina in the 1950/51 season. The team also won the Senior League that season, and shared the title the following year. Surprisingly fortunes slumped for a time until a Junior League win against Sligo in 1973. The league win was the start of a purple period in the clubs history for it culminated in two Junior Cup wins; two leagues; the winning of the Junior B league, and under age titles.
During this golden era on the pitch Ballina R.F.C. moved into their new clubhouse on the 3rd September 1978. In 1979 Ballina R.F.C. went on to have its finest hour, when against all odds they beat Athlone in the Connacht Senior Cup Final 10-6 in injury time.In 1980 the Junior Cup was added again to the clubs honours and then for the next five seasons Ballina won the Junior League five times on the trot.